Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Catching up

Back to normal...it's been a lovely, exhausting, fun,sunny weekend, with lots of family and friends coming for the celebration- my son chose a non-religious confirmation ceremony, together with 16 other youths, the ceremony was great, with beautiful song from a group of 4 youg girls singing folktunes, and guitarplaying older men, DjangoReinhard-style, and a nice speech. He was happy with it.





When we came home, it was time for dinner. He chose the menu too, a pork steak with vegetables. The table is decorated with shells and seaside stones, and those glass balls where used on the fishing nets in earlier times. He has always loved to fish and look around in the sea, so I thouhgt it would be a good idea. The red flowers are japonica, from a friends garden. My sister and sister-in-law decorated the table the night before while I was making a cake, and the sauce , and some other stuff...
We used shells for placecards too, my son got the biggest...








We were 21 for dinner at home I had two good friends helping out cooking and serving, and everything went smoothly.
















And then there was cake....





I got several cakes from friends, and made Devils Food and Lemon Meringue Pie myself (American recipes- my mom is born in Brooklyn and grew up on Staten Island, New York by norwegian parents-and the cakes has folloowed her...and they are yummy!). I also made KRANSEKAKE(the coneshaped one), which is almonds ,extremely finely grained sugar, and eggwhites.Very good.


There were krumkaker, svele, karamellpudding, creamcakes, chocolatecake,cheesecake....


Later we ate bread with salmon, eggs, cheese, jam and so on...





The three siblings had made their big brother a song, and Åshild,10, played while we sang it.













My sister gave a speech- and she is wearing the same bunad as I have- did I have my picture taken? I think not...We took a lot of photos- but any of me? noooo
-but here is a photo of the apron with the knitted lace, it is linen fabric with wool embroidery, and a cotton lace.... Have a nice day!!!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Your son's day sounded wonderful. I have to tell you, the aprons are gorgeous. The embroidery detail is beautiful. I wish I could do work like that. Thank you for sharing.