Wednesday, February 20, 2008

...winterbreak...

The boys are off to Harpefossen today for some skiing, they are having a weeks holiday- winterbreak. There is a busride scheduled from the community center tht will pick up kids/youth along the road- they could sign up for it in school. The weather is lousy-rain, rain, rain...
DD1 is visiting Grandma, and DD2 stays home with me. I've borrowed a sewingmachine from a friend of mine, and wanted to do some sewing,but I don't seem to be able to get around to it! Quite frankly it scares me. I've always had a passion for sewing, I used to make a lot of the childrens clothes, and most of mine(an advantage when your arms and legs are a bit longer than "normal"...and you don't want to go to the men's department all the time...) However- I lost the sewingmachine four years ago in a fire, and still haven't bought a new one, so I just stare at the one I've borrowed, wondering where to start! I have curtains that needs hemming, trousers that needs mending, pillows that should be finished...there's plenty! I also have fabrics just lying around waiting to be made into something ...and I have patterns and ideas- for coats, dresses, pnts, jackets, curtains, doll's clothes, kid's clothes, fun projects, have-to-do-projects....and I find myself just staring at the machine, and starting some new knitting project instead! Oh, well, I WILL get around to doing at least some of it. Eventually... In the meantime-
Sockamania in February- Simply Love. Yes, my choice of colour could definitely have been better...-LOL! These are made toe-up. Not a favourite. They are supposed to be made with a short row heel. Not a favourite. I ended ip knittin them toe-up, with a figure8 cast-on, an aftrthought heel, and partly with magic loop- my first attempt- still not a favourite, but it does have it's advantages! Especially since the second sock was knit partly on the ferry, and partly in the dentist's waiting room. Walking around with 4 DPN's in my bag- well, the bag looks like a porcupine...so magic loop it was. I signed up for
MissMarple knit-and readalong too... We are reading a few MissMarple mysteries, and knitting a scarf for an exchange. We got a name, and some colourpreferences. That's it. So off I went to browse through all me scarf patterns, most of them downloaded from the internet-there are lots of talented designers out there!- however, I did not find THE pattern, so I stopped by in Ålesund when DD2 was going to the dentists. We found a yarn store, and some pretty yarn- baby merino wool- and even a booklet with scarfpatterns. One was really pretty, so I bought yarn enough for it, and went homeand started knitting. And did not like the result. So I ripped, and tried making my own pattern. That didn't work either. I started my original pattern again- this time it went like a breeze, for like 30 cm's... Back to my books...finally picking one that I've made before, it was easy enough to knit in front of the tv, but challenging enough not to get bored. This is the pattern- but I won't post pictures yet. Trust me- it looks quite nice. I blocked it yesterday- it grew...it got BIG!!!
When the scarf was done, I needed something new, while waiting for March Sockamania socks! So I casted on for a babydress-Sweetheart, since I had some babywool that would make a darling dress for a cute little one. However- all my friends are "too old" to have babies, and "too young" to become grandmothers, so it will be done and put in a drawer until needed!
If I weren't this lazy, I would have posted a pic of our sky right this minute- there are signs of blue!!!Even signs of the sun!!! Maybe the kids will have a nice time skiing after all!
Maybe I should go feed the sheep? I need to move a couple of tractoreggs...(haybales...)and the
sheep will probably come running out of the gate once I open it to get the tractor inside....lots of fun, with sheep all over the road-LOL! Spælsauen are easier, they are inside the barn!
Enough for now. Have a great day:-)
(BTW: the sheep in my heading are spælsau(Old Norwegian Short Tail Landrace) The ones on the sidebar are villsau, or wild sheep, or OldNorwegian )

7 comments:

Mary B said...

Marit, I hope the sewing mojo kicks in for you. Sometimes I'm in the mood, sometimes not. I love the heart socks! That scarf is going to be gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

Sokkene ble riktig fine ! Jeg elsker å strikke sokker fra tåen og opp, skulle bare ønske at det var noen norske oppskrifter på det.
Jeg bruker grunnmønsteret til http://minehobbyer.blogspot.com/
resten må jeg komponere selv, klarer ikke å komme inn engelske oppskrifter, dessverre. Der er det jo så mye lekkert ! Det er artig å lese om ditt hverdagsliv, det er så annerledes enn mitt, skjønt jeg har alltid sagt at jeg tror jeg hadde egnet meg som "gardkjerring".....

Caroline said...

Oh, those heart socks are so cute. I had thought I would knit them, but I somehow got sidetracked. Good luck with your sewing. I love to sew, but it always seems to frustrate me more than knitting does.

Tracy said...

I love those heart socks, Marit! So much great knitting...Happy Days enjoying vinterferien ;o) ((HUGS))

Navel Gazer said...

Hi Marit, you are being very productive on the knitting front. I always thinking knitting is simpler to pick up and put down - you don't have to get the machine out, thread it etc - you just pick up your needles and you're off.

Thanks for the award by the way, it made my day. I hope the have picture posts next week weeks as both the children should be back at school. I think they will be as relieved as me!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh Marit, those socks look lovely! And I really really do like the colour!! I have no idea how to knit socks, and I don't think I have the patience to do so. So I have a little question...would you like to swap with me for a pair of socks. I could sew something for you, if you would like to..

blueberries in the fields said...

Hi Marit, thank you for posting in my blog. I really like your socks too, love the color yellow, even if you think it doesn't make a good match for the theme. You seem to be living in such a beautiful country and i envy your way of life. I too, live in the country, but i do not raise sheeps, only severals crazy hens so i can enjoy fresh eggs daily. :)
Good luck with for the march pattern ! Can't wait to see what's in for us !