Monday, November 26, 2007

Winter...

First: THANK YOU so much for all your concern for DS2. He's back in school, happy as a fiddle. because now he has an exuse for not writing...(He's a clever boy, but hates to write by hand! And now, with a cast on his right arm, he is allowed to used a computer in school!),As you can see, we got some snow over the weekend, and the kids. yes, DS2 also..., has been out skiing and playing. DS1 has a snowboard that DS2 had to try...with a broken arm...I'd better get that emergency knitting kit ready! Thankfully, he is in no pain anymore, but it's itching.

Yes, we've got snow, and icy roads. Saturday night a car drove off the road just where the kids wait for the schoolbus, because he drove too fast and the roads were icy. Nothing wrong happened, and he called friends that helped him get the car back on the road.



I've started feeding the sheep a bit extra, these are the socalled wildsheep. They get hay. Most of them also has this shelter, an addition to the barn, to go into. They also have plenty of wool, so as long as it is not raining too heavily, they are okay. We shear them only once a year, in June normally. I've been thinking of doing it twice, but it has to be earlier, like in May and SEptember, so they get a nice layer of wool again before it gets too cold.
They can go from the shelter and out, next to the road, and down to the sea. This is behind the barn.
There has been little knitting lately, as I've been busy with the meat. We butchered some sheep at home, as we do each year, and make the traditional Christmasdinners. I always salt and dry the ribs and thigh, we also make meatrolls, liverpaté, and use the blood for pudding. On Saturday the girls helped me stuff sausages. We CAN buy everything, there is plenty in the store, but I like to do it my way, and also feel it is important to be able to do it, due to traditions. This year DS1 helped. The freezer is packed full with steaks... Around here, pinnekjøtt is the traditional Christmasdinner. How to cook it? Sorry, can't help you, hubby's always doing that! It is not my tradition, I'm originally from the south of Norway, and we usually eat cod. Delicious! (But around here they think I must be nuts...)

Nearly enough foodtalk for the day- I'm getting hungry!
But Kristy asked for the recipe for Christmastea- it is a tea that I bought at the pharmacy, it consists of black tea, dried orangepeel in small bits, small bits of vanilla and clove. It tastes good!

Time to pick up my knittingneedles again, and try to figure out what's for dinner...
Have a nice day!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lucky me came home to ready prepared dinner today. It is one of those rare days when I work longer than my husband :-) So here I am filled up with salmon, and soon it is time for coffee and some crocheting :-)

I love your landscape.......and as you know I also love an island close to your farm.

Mrs Moog said...

Beautiful snowy photos. We live on the south coast of England and rarely get more than a sprinkling of snow. My children are desperate to build a proper snowman. I'm sure you must get quite fed up with it!!
I'll have to keep visiting your blog to get my fix!!!
Lesley xx

Andrea said...

I love the pictures as usual. I am so glad to hear that your son is okay. As they say, boys will be boys. Don't stress too much.

Anne said...

What a beautiful landscape. We often have snow by now, and icy roads, but it has been spookily warm this year. Here too cod is a big deal (but getting harder to find, as the waters have been over-fished). I hope you have a nice quiet week!

Mary B said...

I'm glad your ds is better and already enjoying the snow. I love hearing about the sheep and your winter traditions, it looks lovely there. . .

Anonymous said...

Vi òg har snø.. tørr fin snø(så lenge DET varer) ;)
Tenk å få bruke data på skulen, dei andre synes nok han er ein heldiggris.. sjølv om brudd kan vere kjedelig nok det.. hehe..

Håper de får ei fin veke(begge to), og takk for hyggelege kommentarar på bloggen min. Det er alltid like koselig!

Anonymous said...

So glad you son is doing well! I'm sure this makes for some good excuses to get out of things at school though ;o) It's a winter wonderland where you are...adds to the Christmas spirit.! Happy days to you all ((HUGS))

Caroline said...

Glad to hear that your son is back at school and doing OK.

I was going to email you but I'm using my work computer.Thanks for the comment on my blog. I love A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. It was a favorite when I was young, and I just recently re-read ti

Brigitte said...

Lovely sheep. Do you sell the wool as well? It must be great to spin it.
Hälsningar
Brigitte